background

Saturday, December 21, 2013

DIY Snow Globes


Last Christmas I made some DIY snow globes inspired by a pin I saw in Pinterest. I've gotten so many compliments so I thought if do a tutorial. A few of these will be gifts this year and they are definitely budget friendly. I already had everything I needed except for extra trees so this project cost me less than $3. 


You Will Need
Glass jars if varying sizes (wide mouth if using mason jars)
Glue gun
Epsom salt (mine is from the dollar store bought last year)
Clear or white glitter (optional)
Bottle brush Christmas trees (mine are from Ben Franklin)
Little critters if you want

I started by laying out all my jars and supplies so I could see how many little trees would fit in each one.


Next I cut out little bits of cardboard so I could make my trees sit up higher. If you skip this step your trees will sit much lower and you will barely have any snow in the bottom if your jar. Little wood dowels would work well too.


I started gluing the little bits of cardboard to the bottom if the trees. While those were drying I glued my mason jar lids together. Don't hot glue your thumb like I did... I forgot how much that little bit of glue could hurt!!!

After putting everything together I added the Epsom salt and glitter to the bottom of the jars. I just eyeballed this and added enough to where I thought it would reach the bottom of the trees. This was definitely trial and error but there's no easy way to try and measure it out.


Finally, I glued the lids on and voila! Done!




No comments:

Post a Comment